Sunday, November 28, 2010

Jeff


When my mother met and married Jeff, I was just entering that Dumb Surly Teenager phase that everyone goes through at one time or another.  My own father having been more-or-less absent throughout my childhood, Jeff became my first consistently present male authority figure at a time when hormones and an overdeveloped sense of self-importance were driving me to rebel against authority in general and parental figures in particular.  As difficult as it can be to become part of a pre-existing family unit, I think Jeff managed it as well as anyone could have done.

Jeff had a passion for knowledge, an acute awareness of the world around him in matters both local and global, and a healthy skepticism of anyone who claimed to have all the answers.  All these things--along with his disarming humor and inimitable writing style--made him a fixture in the Worcester blogging scene.  It was heartening to see so many of his fellow local writers rally around him during his illness, and I know it meant a lot to him as well.

I am happy that he and my mother found each other and had so many wonderful years together, and I was especially proud that he considered me his son.  I will miss him more than I can say.

2 comments:

RoasterBoy said...

Sean -
Thanks. Some folks are in our lives for a comparatively short time and yet manage to make all the difference in the world.
I suspect that you and your mother are pretty tired now. It's been a siege. I also suspect that, after the frenetic pace of the next few days, you'll get a chance to rest and then get on with whatever the heck is next, with a bunch of former strangers cheering you on.

Nicole said...

Sean -- I am so sorry for your loss.